We all love a good smoothie in the morning but the sad truth is they can often be loaded with sugar and calories. So how can we get our smoothie fix in and it be a healthy experience? Let’s talk about it!
A smoothie separates itself from a milkshake by being full of fruits and vegetables. Often frozen fruit is mixed with yogurt, sorbet, various milks and other flavorings to make a yummy drinkable meal. A milkshake is a dessert with ice cream and milk.
Each part of the smoothie can be altered to make it a more healthy option for breakfast:
- Lower the Sugar- try to use added sugar (or even substitutes like honey or stevia) as little as possible. The fruit should be sweet enough for a smoothie and our bodies don’t do well with pure sugar.
- Use alternative milks- milks like hemp milk are high in protein and healthy omega-3 fats. They can help you get the creaminess without the lactose and other insulin creating properties of milk
- Boost up your protein- a smoothie is perhaps the best way to add protein powder to your diet in a palatable way. Look for whey protein concentrate that gives you 26 grams of protein per serving
- Blend your veggies- a lot of people struggle to eat things like kale or other leafy greens. Blended with some sweetness in a smoothie can make it tolerable for picky eaters.
- Make it your way- the good thing about making a smoothie at home is you can do it your way. Want it sweeter? Add some honey or juice. Want it to be creamier? Add some yogurt. You are the smoothie master!
What are your favorite smoothie recipes? We’d love to hear about them in the comments section. At Zim’s we encourage a healthy lifestyle and our products are here to help make that process easier and pain free! Here’s to a healthy happy life!