Ha ha ha ha! Oh sorry that’s us over here laughing. Today is April Fools! It’s the day to play goofs on your friends and family and get a good laugh in. We know some can take this day too far and be mean but at it’s core it’s a good thing to get a good laugh in whenever we can, not just on the first of April.
Having a good laugh is not just a pleasant activity but it can help our bodies in many ways. According to the Mayo Clinic laughter can:
- Boosts our organs- Laughter increases our oxygen intake which stimulates our heart, lungs and muscles, and increases endorphins released by the brain
- Reduces stress- “a rollicking laugh fires up and then cools down our stress response, and it can increase and then decrease your heart rate and blood pressure. The result a good, relaxed feeling”
- Muscle relaxation- laughter can aid in muscle relaxation which helps reduce physical symptoms of stress and chronic pain.
- Improve our immune system- positive thoughts show in our bodies as chemical reactions that impact our brain and can help us be less depressed.
- Increase personal satisfaction- “laughter can also make it easier to cope with difficult situations. It also helps us connect with other people”
Most public speakers will tell you there’s nothing like a good joke to break the ice and get people invested in what you are saying. This technique can be taken too far where people get annoyed but a well placed joke can put everyone at ease and make for a better learning environment going forward.
Laughter is also a great way of getting to see each other’s personalities and gives insight into who they really are. There’s nothing better than when a little child makes their first jokes and they light up knowing they made Mom and Dad (or Aunt and Uncle) laugh. When they are old enough get kids a simple knock knock joke book. They will get a kick out of it as will the entire family.
We hope this April Fools you find yourself giggling away with friends and family. Life is too short to not have a good laugh each day.
Happy April Fools!