One of the best ways to celebrate Thanksgiving is to earn your big meal by joining your local turkey trot or Thanksgiving run. It’s a fantastic opportunity to support your community, make friends and get some exercise on turkey day. Today we are going to talk about some ways you can get the most of your race Thanksgiving morning. Here we go:
First thing make sure you are wearing layers so you can adjust as your temperature changes through the run. Tshirts, both long and short, and scarfs are easy to remove and great options for race day.
Here are some tips for having a great turkey trot:
- Eat breakfast- don’t wait for Thanksgiving meal to eat. You need some protein and carbs to have a productive race.
- Review the route- especially if you’re new to running or the area take a look at the course route before race day. If you racing with children show them the route and tell them how long the experience will be.
- Handwarmers- sticking a small handwarmer in your pockets is a great way to stay warm without having to wear gloves
- Water and carbs- bring a water bottle with you and some simple carbs like an energy bar to give you a boost throughout the race
- Join a team- the race will be more fun if you gather a group of friends or colleagues and race together. You can even race in honor of someone to make it more meaningful
- Have fun- racing can be challenging but a Turkey Trot should be a fun community experience. Don’t take it too seriously.
Here at Zims we hope you have a great Turkey Trot and a wonderful Thanksgiving!