Today on the Zim’s blog we are diving into some easy hacks that will help you with your pain relief needs. These simple projects can be used in conjunction with the Zim’s line of pain relief products to help you be your best self.
Homemade Cold Packs
The first hack comes from the folks at themakeyourownzone.com and it’s 5 different ways to make your own cold pack for injuries. As we’ve discussed many times on this blog applying cold reduces swelling and inflammation on acute pain. It can also reduce muscle spasms and help you recover more quickly from an injury.
To make a homemade gel ice pack:
- In a quart size ziploc bag, combine 1½ cups of water with a ½ cup of rubbing alcohol.
- Add food coloring or Green Colored Wintergreen Rubbing Alcohol
- Seal and put in the freezer for several hours or overnight.
There you go! That’s it!
Homemade Heating Pads
Our next hack helps us with the opposite problem: heat therapy for pain relief. Where cold is great for acute pain like a muscle strain or sprain, heat therapy is best for chronic pain and all-over stiffness and swelling. Today’s pain hack comes from the makinglemonadeblog.com and it is a fun craft of making your own homemade rice bag for heat relief.
To make these rice bags:
- Construct the fabric bags see instructions
- Mix uncooked rice with 10 drops of your favorite essential oil. Arnica or echinacea would be a good choice
- Sew it up and test it in the microwave a few minutes
These hacks can be a great way to help with your pain at very little expense. Plus, they make thoughtful and personalized gifts for the athlete and outdoorsman in your life. They would also make great stocking stuffers at very low costs.
What are your favorite pain relief hacks? We’d love to hear about them in the comments section